User Help
Search Forum
keywords

author

GO
SOFTWARE
News: Page (1) of 1 - 11/26/12 Email this story to a friend. email article Print this page (Article printing at MyDmn.com).print page

Giving Tuesday You'll Never Think about Clean Water the Same Way Again By Larry O Connor
It's very easy to take clean, refreshing water for granted, but on today - Giving Tuesday -  I warmly welcome others to join the OWC Team and many of our customers in giving the gift of clean, safe water every day of the year to those in need.  

Until earlier this year, I found it easy to take water quality for granted.  But after reconnecting with Scott Harrison, founder of charity: water, at the recent Inc. 5000 Conference, that all changed.

Scott's organization has been the Inc. 5000 Conference featured charity for the past two years.  
After talking to Scott, it's easy to see why Inc. magazine is such a believer in the organization.   They focus on doing one thing and doing it exceptionally well ... use 100 percent of the donations they receive to help communities in developing nations obtain clean, safe drinking water.

It doesn't sound like a big deal to people living in industrialized countries such as yours and mine. However, in developing nations, the job of finding/bringing home daily water falls mainly on the women and children who often have to make the up to eight hour round trip to and from the water source, hauling jerry cans of unsafe, polluted water ... every day.  

No Choice -
In many developing countries, bogs and swamps are the only source of water.  People spend hours lugging heavy containers of the water to their villages, filter it as best they can and use it to cook and drink; but the tainted water is the source of maladies of all types and early death. Clean drinking water is often literally under their feet, but they don't know how to find it or how to bring it up from the ground.

I was amazed to learn 800 million people on the planet-one in every nine individuals-don't have access to clean, safe drinking water. Unsafe water and the lack of basic sanitation cause 80 percent of all sickness on the planet and lead to 2.2 million deaths every year.

@ Copyright, 2015 Digital Media Online, AllRights Reserved