|Page (1) of 1 - 11/06/12||email article||print page|
Zurich, Switzerland (PRWEB) November 06, 2012
A global internet conference hosted by the Asheville Jung Center this month will explore why so many people believe the world will end on December 21, 2012. Presentations will be from Zurich, Switzerland and Washington, D.C. The Asheville Jung Center was founded in 2008 to advance the teachings of Carl Jung and promote an international interactive community.
Human history is ripe with predictions of the end.
- In 634 BC citizens of Rome predicted imminent destruction as it was the 120th year of the citys founding.
- First century Christians believed the world would end one generation after Jesus death (i.e. 50-100 AD).
- Pope Sylvester II preached that the world would end on 1000 AD; Martin Luther predicted the end as no later than 1600 AD.
- Jim Jones suicide cult predicted nuclear holocaust for 1967.
- Many saw the year 2000 (Y2K) as the worlds end.
Across the world today, many are preparing for earths final destruction on December 21, 2012 the expiration of the 13th B'ak'tun in the Mayan Long Count Calendar.
Why have so many people predicted the end of existence on so many dates? What is it in particular about December 21, 2012 that frightens so many today?